Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Next Steps to Energy Independence!

Whats up Jimmy Goes Solar readers! Here is a brief update on my goal of becoming energy independent.

1) My Solar Panels have produced over 1000 KWhs of electricity since they were hooked up. I"m also getting those nice checks from the electric company because the contracted with me to buy my renewable energy. AND -- I'lll be getting my Solar Tax Credit this year! What am I going to do with all that money? I don't know yet, but you can bet that its going to go toward one of the projects on my energy independence and sustainability wishlist.

The Energy Independence and Sustainability Wishlist:

* An electric vehicle - When I heard that Nissan was going to be producing the Leaf this year I was thrilled at the idea that i could power my own electric car with my own solar panels. However, I soon learned that these cars would not be available in New Mexico for a few years. When they are available here, I'm buying one!
* Trombe Wall or Solar Wall - I want to add a few of these walls to the south facing walls in my home. These walls use the power of the sun to heat the space in your rooms. This project definitely occupies one of the top spaces on my Energy Independence & Sustanability Wishlist.
*Solar Hot Water - I would like to buy a solar water heater. These things aren't nearly as sexy as the solar panels, but they certainly do cut down your Carbon Dioxide Emissions.
*Electric Radiant Heat -under some of the floors in the house. Have you ever gotten out of a shower or tub and stepped onto a warm floor? Its the best! Take my word for it. And, that heat will be powered by my solar panels -one more step toward Energy Independence.
*Solar Space Heating -These are panels that you can buy and install on your roof that pump air heated by the sun into your home. I see them all over Albuquerque -seriously considering this as a way to reduce the amount of natural gas I burn to keep warm.

Thanks for reading -I'll keep you posted regarding which project i start next!

No comments:

Post a Comment